Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Giant Custard Cupcake with Nutella Frosting for International Nutella Day!

If ANYONE knows me even remotely well, they would know that once someone shows me a tub, or even a spoon, of Nutella, I'm sold. Genius of a creation. As my friend Jason would say, it's proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

It was International Nutella Day yesterday, and to celebrate the occasion, I really wanted to use my new giant cupcake baking pan. Exciting times! I got a bit bored of same old basic cake with chocolate, so I searched around and found a nice custard flavoured cake and decided to add some awesome Nutella to it! It's a fairly simple recipe that didn't take me very long, and of course it's eggless. I adapted my recipe from here. Thanks for the great recipe RK!

Ingredients:
1.5 cups of self-raising flour (or plain flour)
1 cup of yoghurt
1 cup of fine sugar
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 cup of vanilla custard powder
1/2 cup of oil (I used olive oil)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

Frosting:
1 cup of Thick cream
1 cup of Nutella

Method:
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celcius.

- Take the yoghurt in a bowl and whisk it really well. Add sugar and whisk for another 3 - 4 minutes till it is dissolved. Add baking powder and baking soda and fold in. Wait 5 minutes till this becomes frothy and starts to bubble. Add the oil and the vanilla essence. Mix well.

- Now, sift the self raising flour and vanilla custard powder twice in a separate bowl. Add this in small amounts to the yoghurt and sugar, and mix it very well.

- Once the mixture is thick with no lumps and well incorporated together, set it aside for two minutes.

- Prepare your baking tray by brushing a little oil on it. Pour in the cake batter and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes in the oven on a low tray. I realised from previous experiences, that even if you keep the temperature low so as to not burn the cake, if you keep it too high on the rack in the oven, the same result will appear. So keep it on 150 - 160 degrees Celsius, and don't keep it too high near the heat coils.
- Turn off oven when a knife inserted comes out with a few crumbs and no liquid.

- Cool for half an hour. Then take both pieces out, and spread nutella on top of the base piece. Stick both pieces together.

- Take the thick cream and first spread this on top of the giant cupcake. Then take the nutella and start spreading it on top of the cream. You will find that you will get a marble cake type texture on top. It looks lovely, and tastes even better!

Serve ASAP.

 

It tasted delicious, and whilst happily baking away, a particular song came to mind; a particularly favourite one by Shreya Ghoshal -

"Faslaa thaa durii thii, thaa judaai kaa aalam,
Intezaar mein nazrein thi aur, 
Tum wahan the, tum wahan the, tum wahan the,
Jhil mila the, jag magaa the, khushiyon mein jhuum kar.
Aur yahan jal, rahe the hum, aur yahan jal, rahe the hum....

Phir se badal garajaa hai! Garaj garaj ke barsaa hai,
Jhuum ke toofaan aaya hai, par tujhko bujhaa nahi paaya hai,
O piya, yeh diya, chaahe jitna sataaye tujhe yeh saawan,
Yeh hawa aur yeh bechainiyaan...

Mere piya, ab aaja re mere piya,
O mere piya, ab aaja re mere piya..."

Context: She sings to her love, and of the fire lamp that she lights for him and guards with her life in significance of her love and devotion to him.
Translation: Between us was space, distance and a world of separation. All along, I was here, and you were there, swaying happily, shimmering and gleaming with happiness. All along, here I was, burning with jealousy. The clouds raged with thunder and lightning, and it stormed and rained to put out the lamp that I religiously light for your return. The forces tried to put our the fire, but they could never succeed. Oh, my lover, no matter how much this lightning, wind and rain tortures you, it will not be able to stop you; it will not be able to separate us. Come now, my love, embrace me.

I'm going to do something pretty brave for the first time, and put up a clip of me singing these verses. This blog is after all, to share my love of food and music, and no matter how good or bad my singing is, I thought it was time I shared something! Here goes...
Do leave your comments guys :)

Cheers.

Nitya